Conventions Malta, within the MTA, operates as part of the Maltese Islands official tourism board which is a national non-profit government organisation, established for over 25 years. Formerly referred to as the ‘M.I.C.E. Segment’; Conventions Malta focuses on conference and incentive travel and Association business to the Maltese Islands.
The role of Conventions Malta is that of promoting Malta, Gozo & Comino as a M.I.C.E. destination focusing on research and planning, marketing and promotion, product development and quality assurance.
At present, Conventions Malta offers free of charge, unbiased information and assistance to event organisers looking or planning to host their next event on our shores. Conventions Malta does not operate on a commercial basis.
Services Offered At Conventions Malta:
- We provide information about the destination and impartial advice to meeting, conference and incentive organisers together with the general public;
- We offer guidance to event organisers and associations interested in learning more about the destination and overall offer;
- We work closely with all MTA licensed trade partners to develop and enhance Malta’s M.I.C.E. offer;
- We assist with arrangements for site inspections working hand in hand with local trade partners and all MTA overseas units based on the contacts requirements
- We provide audio visual features, presentations and images to further market the Maltese Islands and promote the destination
- We provide literature in various language and collateral to distribute to clients and delegates prior or during their stay
- We assist with requests for information and provide details for local suppliers including Destination Management Companies, Conference Hotels and Conventions Centres
- We support Associations from bidding stage till after the event with preparation and various other support
- We promote and publicise events on our online conference calendar and official websit
Speaker Bio: Karen Abela
After obtaining training at the Malta Institute of Tourism Studies, my career took off in an IATA Agency in Valletta, Malta, then quickly proceeded to Incoming Tour Operating at the height of the 90s Tourism boom in Malta. I later moved on to a MICE focused DMC in Malta, where for 13 years, our professional team turned clients’ ideas into reality by organizing high end, quality and detailed events for an international client base with groups ranging from 10 to 1500 delegates. This taught me to work on a one to one basis with my clients, negotiate with my suppliers and to also gain a great contact base in Malta with a vast knowledge of meeting venues, incentive ideas and event possibilities on the island.
I later applied this knowledge to a Sales position at the 5* Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa in Malta, where I was responsible for the MICE sector for all markets, and attended fairs and sales trips in the UK, Europe and US on behalf of the Hotel.
Today, I am based in London, representing Conventions Malta and spreading knowledge of my lovely, sunny island in the UK and Ireland to MICE Agencies and Corporate clients.